The 14-year-old boy was charged with making threats to kill, causing a false report to be made to police, using a carriage service to menace, using a carriage service to make a threat to kill and using a telecommunications network with intention to commit a serious offence.
In the days after the threat was made, Imam Mohammad Ramzan told The Age police had alerted him to the messages but they were continuing as normal.
«For us it is business as usual, nothing, no panic, no fear,” he said on Tuesday afternoon.
«People in Geelong love the mosque as their own place and we love them as our own members.»
Imam Ramzan said more than 2000 people «from all walks of life» flocked to his mosque on Sunday to show solidarity to the Islamic community and to mourn in the wake of the Christchurch mass shooting, allegedly committed by an Australian-born man.
«These terrorists or extremists have no place in our society, regardless of what label they go by, Muslim, far-right, far-left, this or that,” he said.
“Our society is based on human values of love, togetherness, tolerance … that is what we are experiencing and that is what we are sharing.”
Police went to the mosque in Bostock Avenue on Sunday, conducted checks and declared the area safe.
Imam Ramzan said his community had been overwhelmed by a public show of solidarity and were refusing to be cowed by anonymous, online messages.
On Tuesday, Premier Daniel Andrews sent his best wishes to the Islamic community in Geelong.
«It would have been very, very difficult to have to deal with that,» he said.
«But I want to reassure every Victorian regardless of their faith background that Victoria Police take all threats to our safety very seriously.»
Simone is a breaking news reporter for The Age. Most recently she covered breaking news for The Australian in Melbourne.
Joe Hinchliffe reports breaking news for The Age.